There are numerous special occasion where boy’s suit is required dress code for young boys. Events such as wedding christening, birthdays, funerals, and etc. will usually require boys to change out of the usual t-shirt and jeans and wear more formal children’s clothes. Here are most important measurements that you have to take when measuring your son for a suit with instruction on where to take the measurements from and to:
• Sleeve length-measure the sleeve length from the top of the shoulder-blade where you can feel the bone that sticks out from the shoulder all the way down to just past the wrist.
• Jacket length-measure the jacket length by placing one end of the measuring tape on the nape of the neck and taking the tape down to the base of the buttocks. This would be the correct length for a standard jacket. If you are measuring for a three-quarter length jacket or tail suit jacket you will have to measure down to just above the back of the knee.
• Waist-It is important to measure from the actual waist and not the hips. The modern trend for wearing trousers that hang low around the hips can lead to many people measuring incorrectly for a boy’s suit. The best method to adopt is to have your son wear a pair of trousers that are a good fit and with them in the correct position on his waist take the measurement just above the trouser line and as close to the skin as possible. Most boys suits that are suitable for boys up to the age of 8 come with elasticized waistbands and therefore usually allow 2 or 3 inches of movement either way.
• Inside leg-the inside leg measurement is taken from just below the crotch to approximately an inch past the ankle bone. Most boys’ suits will have trousers with an inch or two of extra length to allow them to be turned up to the exact length.
• Outside leg-the outside leg measurement is taken from the top of the waist (again not the hip bone) down to an inch past the ankle bone.
• Chest-take the tape measure all the way round the chest just under the arm pits.
Follow the above tips to make purchasing a lot easier and result to an elegant clad boy.